Newcomers in the Kitchen
Many people from the Middle East and North Africa come to Europe, to live and to work. That is not easy. Also 2nd and 3d generation children have problems with integration. Among these groups there are potential valuable workforces, where European population is getting older and shrinking. The project “Newcomers in the Kitchen” (NIK) speaks from Newcomers. To use this potential, integration is important.
Integration includes the entry of young children in the educational system, with many challenges:
- Language and culture of the host country,
- Different educational systems,
- Lack of social contacts with neighbours or other representatives of the new country,
- Growing separation and reducing tolerance.
Contacts can be simply created via culinary activities. Multicultural cooking together with children, parents and teachers creates a better understanding. Modern materials such as an App will help. VET students will present it in primary/secondary schools. VET image will improve and more.
- Clusius College – Netherlands
- Just Game IT – Netherlands
- Associazione 2050 – Italy
- Tartu Kunstikool (TAS) – Estonia
- Sataedu – Sakaunta Educational Federation – Finland
- The European Vocational Training Association (EVTA) – Belgium
- Bildungsmarkt e.v. – Germany
- Odense Kommune – Denmark
Associated parnter project Edina ( EDucation of International Newly Arrived migrant pupils)
PROJECT PERIOD: February 2018 – November 2020
PROJECT STATUS: Finished
In general, NIK contributes to a better integration of Newcomers. NIK focuses on VET students and pupils from primary/secondary including teachers (and parents).
To develop learning material about food, both from host countries and from the Newcomers.
- To give Newcomers a better knowledge of the language and culture of the European host countries,
- To stimulate Newcomers to participate more in the educational system, including VET, and feel at home,
- To contribute to a more attractive VET, with more participants,
- To support the participation of Newcomers in the European labour market.
During the project period from February 2018 till June 2020 the partners will work in the consortium to deliver the following outcomes:
- Contribution to relevant strategy in national/regional approaches in integration of Newcomers,
- Developed learning materials, including culinary experiments in a multicultural context,
Developed apps with cartoons/comics, games, quizzes, to be used in lessons“ Culinary aspects of two cultures”,
- (VET)- teachers are enthusiastic for the materials and use it as a result of national/regional multiplier events,
- Culinary country days/weeks are organised in combination with cultural activities.
BLANKCON and NIK
Blankcon assists the leading partners Clusius College with the projectmanagement. Blankcon is also responsible for the projectwebsite, setting up the local cross sectoral networks, developing the Instruction-manual how to develop attractive, modern learning material, organising the National Multiplier event in the Netherlands and the project reporting.